Monday, February 18, 2013

Thing 6: Curation Tools

Finally I understand what Pinterest is, instead of just pretending I do when people talk about it!  I liked this category.  I found great sites on the Chris Gibson site that I shared with my 2nd and 6th grade teachers to use with ancient civilizations.  She used Scoop-it and I liked the look of that site very much.  Updating and cleaning my Destiny home page has been on my "to do" list for quite some time.  There are so many great links, but the home page gets very long. It also gets challenging to keep them in a particular order as you add additional links.   I am going to experiment using Scoop-it to collect resources and then use single links by topic to the Scoop-it site instead of listing all the individual sites directly on Destiny for some of my categories.  Using Scoop-it will allow the users to see pictures and logos of the sites which will help the younger users navigate getting to sites.  My primary students can't always find links on the home page.

3 comments:

  1. I did set-up a Scoop-it and here is a link.

    http://www.scoop.it/t/keyboarding-instruction

    I also put this link on my Destiny home page under Keyboarding Instruction. I like that the students will be able to see my comments about the site. When i return to school, I'll add a picture of the library on the Scoop page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add that as I was editing one of the scoops, it wasn't giving me image choices. I ended up using the Windows Snip-it tool to carve out my own picture from the website. It worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good tip on using the snipping tool to create images. And what a great way to incorporate the sites into your Destiny site.

    ReplyDelete