Monday, February 18, 2019

Thing 23: New AASL Standards


Working on Cool Tools on another snowy day in Rochester.  I saw a meme that there are 31 days until Spring - I hope they go by quickly!  I completed the exercise in Paige's article and marked on the framework what I am Doing, what I am Close on and those that I need to Improve. 
  • For Doing - I have the most under engage across all domains, with the most being under Think.  
  •  For Improve - There are quite a few marks under create and share.  The most being under the boxes create/include, grow/include, share/curate, and grow/curate.  
  •  For Close - I didn't have as many marked close.  Grow/Inquire was the most marked category.
This exercise indicated to me that I need to provide my students with opportunities to research and engage in discussions about different perspectives.  It brings to mind a recent lesson.   I was reviewing with 4th and 5th graders Me on the Map skills - continent, country, state, city...
As soon as they saw the map of  North America with the US, Canada, and Mexico some students mentioned the wall and opinions started flying.  Some weren't even sure what the wall was. It led to a lesson about what a border was. Another lesson playing a presidential trivia game last week on Kahoot! led to lots of students sharing what they thought was the job of the president.  

These recent classes are perfect examples of Create/Inquire #2 - Devising and implementing a plan to fill knowledge gaps.
Looking  through the Tech Tools, I have used some - Adobe Spark and Do Ink.  Story Board that and Powtoon look doable for my students with available resources.  Both these tools work with Share/Inquire #4 and Share/Engage #2

Other thoughts on the Standards - I use an online planning tool - Planbook.  I haven't seen them as an option in that tool.  On my follow-up list.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, interesting how your map lesson led to those discussions. What a great lesson that turned in to.

    ReplyDelete