Thursday, February 21, 2019

Thing 22: Teaching & Learning with Primary Sources

Wow, there is a lot available in this lesson - so many resources!
 I watched the Powtoon video on the difference between primary and secondary sources. I will use this as an introductory lesson with my 6th graders.  They are visiting Washington D.C. this June.  I started planning a lesson using Google Docs on the Lincoln Memorial for them to do prior to their visit.  
I found a photo collection of design proposals  for the memorial  in DocsTeach. Student will compare and contrast to what is looks like today.



 I'm going to pair these with a book on the history and construction of the memorial.  I also found other photos that show various renderings of the Lincoln statue.  Here is one.

I also reviewed the Kid Citizen and Eagle Eye links.  I can use these with my younger students.  I watched the Eagle Eye video on Flags.  At first I was unsure about it, but by the end I saw that it came back around and did a good job tying the sources together and illustrating to viewers what to look for and types of questions to ask about primary sources.

I registered for DocsTeach and found a great lesson on Rosa Parks arrest record, along with sources about other women who also refused to give up their seats prior to Rosa Parks.  In the lesson there is a version of the arrest record with Rosa's name redacted.  I'm going to experiment with it on my library computers so it it displayed for each student and they can't click to show the entire record.   The objective of the lesson is to have the students figure out who it is.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great projects! Love the tie-ins with their trip to DC. How exciting that they're going to DC. One of those things they'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete