Saturday, May 3, 2014

Thing 18: Digital Tattoo & Digital Citizenship

I "googled" myself on Google and Bing.  There are quite a few doctors with my name and my husband's ex sister-in-law with the same name as me pops up more often than I do :)  My Facebook doesn't come up so I'm glad about that.

I read See Why This English Teacher Says Digital Citizenship Must Begin With Pen and Paper.  I thought it was a great idea.  Students always learn more effectively when it is hands on and face to face.  I had a KidsBlog last year with my 5th graders.  Kids posted comments and answered questions about books they were reading.  I did have a few post negative comments about other student's opinions.  Because I had to review everything before it was posted, trouble was avoided.  In the future if I have the blog again, I will use this idea.

I also read the article about Digital Passport. Although I didn't sign up for an account at this point, the idea of a training program before they go online is a great idea.   I had concerns about third graders having a GMail account though.  8 and 9 year olds are a little young to navigate their own email and the risks involved.  When they have an email it gives them the capability to sign-up for all kinds of things on the Internet.  Our building is considering replacing our Netbooks and laptops with Chromebooks next year.  I will mention this program.  This year, students with GMail accounts found my GMail account I made for this class and were trying to friend me.

No comments:

Post a Comment